You’ve bought a new baking steel — now what?
The first thing to determine is if the steel has been ’Seasoned’. This refers to a protective oil coat that’s usually baked into the surface prior to use. The seasoning protects from the elements (water and air) and helps avoid sticking.
Our baking steel doesn’t include seasoning, so it needs to be applied.
First Use — Steps to season
- Fire up your oven to preheat at 220 °C.
- Clean the steel with warm soapy water and immediately pat dry with a towel.
- Use a paper towel to ensure there is no surface water left.
- On one side of the steel, apply a teaspoon of oil (Flaxseed, Vegetable, Olive Oil) to the centre.
- Use a paper towel to brush the oil across the surface and lightly coat.
- Repeat this on the reverse side.
- Place the steel in the oven for 90 minutes (some smoking may occur, which is fine).
To boost your oven spring, follow these steps.
1. Place the steel on a shelf in your oven.
2. Remove other shelves to improve access when hot.
3. Preheat to the required temp.
4. Using an oven glove, carefully extract the shelf and steel.
5. Use a peel, or glove, to lift off the bake.